Thursday, September 30, 2010

Here in the ring with the bulls....

Well...here I am..in a place I could never have imagined.I've photographed folks for hospice before and had a sense of their dilema,but you can't know really until your "in the ring".I do have some very incredible support..and I'll be using this space to keep anyone interested in my progress,informed as much as I can.I was diagnosed with renal kidney cancer just last Monday,the 20th Sept,because of a pain in my left leg...turned out to be a tumor...freaky! My ortho guy told me.."we're going to do every test known to man"..and did it.Bless him. In 1 week,I had a CAT scan,Bone scan,X-rays,blood work MRI,met w/oncologist,and 1/2 hour later,was in the ready room for biopsy.Absolutely amazing...I mean,this is Salisbury. All that info went to,or is going to NIH,where I hope to receive my care.That little diddy was taken care of by a special angel,Dr Alex Pratt,a very good friend,that just happens to work in that arena.She has garnered a team that is headed up by one of the country's besy Kidney surgeons.If accepted into the program,everything is FREE!!! We'll see...next week hopefully. If that doesn't get it,then my alternative is going to Mexico...no,not for vacation...for treatment.My good friend (i am so blessed) Bill Rolig has been through that bullring and come out the other side eating bull sandwiches.So,I've got plenty of "capes" for the future that all look very positive.Joan and I are as positive as can be and in great spirits.Son Dave flew here 2 days ago,and left yesterday,and will be back for the Halloween party.Yes,it's still a go damnit...are you serious? So,my present situation is this:I am on crutches because of the tumor in my left leg.It has thinned the bone around it to the point of being very fragile.It will likely need a rod down my femur (not a big deal,says my ortho guy)and possibly need some type of build up on the bone post-tumor.I have a spot on my rib,hip,right femur,..and foot???(weird,eh?). Yesterday I started a healthfood diet with different supplements,etc.I have several books (thanks Bill) on cancer that I've pulled some tricks out of and will follow for awhile...no reason not to.I feel really,really good about the direction this is all going.A note on the bright side...I get to try MM and RW..(medical? marijuana and red wine) ..a great healing combo!...Well,that's enough info for now.I'll keep you posted.Love to all...the Rickster

10 comments:

  1. not a bad healing protocol! MM and RW ! woo hoo! :)

    thanks for sharing Rick, cuz that way we can know what's goin on, stay in touch, send good energy and prayers and help in any way we can (if anything comes to mind, please ask)
    have fun at the Halloween party! :( I won't be there, unless something great happens that I don't know about yet! but I'm open to that happening !!
    WE LOVE YOU ! LIfe is good! :) krista

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick!! If there is anything I can do, workwise or anything please dont hesitate to ask, Im here!! You have an excellent mind and spirit and I know you will be fine!! I hope to see you at the Halloween Party!! Love You!! Sending good energy your way!!!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rick! I love you and I know your going to beat this!! If there is ANYTHING I can do for you or work wise, please ask, I will be there. Keep your spirit!! I will see you at the Halloween Party!! My prayers are with you and your family...talk to you soon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Free care!!??!! You are so blessed.I'll be paying for mine for quite soom time and all I had was a lumpectomy and a short course of radiation. My insurance sucks. I looked into Mexico and Germany and will pursue those if needed. Did an Ayurvedic detox after my radiation which was fantastic. I'll be doing that again(Panchakarma). Eveyone at our church and children's home in India are praying for you. If you want to see them, I can give you the facebook link. Loveyou all-Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rick Its Kellys mom Mary.....you are an awesome inspiration and we are praying for you and your family.......you will get through this........let the bull know who is boss........love......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rick, you are amazing! Your analogy of the "Bull fight" is perfect..
    It is a battle, and we are in the cheering section, ready to do anything we can to help you win this fight..With your great attitude, you will win..
    We love you, very much, and will keep you in constant prayer..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Needless to say we were all stunned by the news. Glad you are up for the challenge! I've got a client, OnLine Publishing, that leads field of alternative treatments. I will be sending links your way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rick, Diane Armstrong here. Bill started receiving Reiki from me just after his diagnosis and he felt it supported him right up there with all his other treatment choices.

    One thing I do know is there are no know contraindications associated with Reiki and it is does not interfere with any other treatments or medications.

    I am at your service if you are interested in giving it a try. 410-251-7701.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ok, so MM, RW and Reiki, and the best wifey ever :) and the best friends if i may say so, and, well, YOU and your Higher Power who always ROCKS ! :) angels are always around love, krista

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Rick,

    I am so glad that I found your righteous ramblings because it has given me confidence that you are on the right track. I love you like a brother. You and your family were always so dear to me.
    I will be praying every day for your recovery. Love, Wanda

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for checking in!