Thursday, October 28, 2010

wanna go to rehab?

...moving right along,I am now in Health South Rehab Center,right near DMV,in Salisbury.Arrived here after a 3 hour drive from WHC,and put in a room with a guy that had some sort of asthmatic condition.He needed a machine that helped him breathe at night while he slept (and I didn't).The noise was like being inside a combination wind machine and tryouts for a sucking beast monster movie.I moved out the next day.Got a room with a more subtle breather,and quite interesting as well.
The PT consists of about 1-2 hours a day...walking with a walker,leg lifting exercises,walkin up and down (2) steps,etc...all very difficult,and very necessary.The pain levels seem to be consistent...4 to 5(how's your pain level today Mr Maloof?) and increases proportionatly with the degree of difficuty, and time doing a particular exercise (10 more reps Mr Maloof...you can do it), and you can,but it just aint fun.Now I do realize that this leg is not going to get better by itself,but isn't there some code somewhere that surely must say that REST IS GOOD AND NECESSARY?? Anyway,I whine...but I am getting better.
The other down side is,I am 68 years old and probaly the youngest #%@!& person in here.How the hell do you think that makes me feel.I can't be bitchin when some 82 year old great grandmother passes me on her walker and gives me a condescending look like...get off the track sonny if you can't keep up.I showed her...I slipped a laxative in her ensure.Let's see how fast she moves now!
Alas'this will all be over with tomorrow(Friday).I'm goin home mama.I'll be getting home health and PT care....AND....I'll be home for the Halloween pah-tay! Yup,yup...it's a dream come true,so I'll bid farewell to this place tomorrow late noon...but the saga continues...love to all,the rickster. p.s. I'll post pics later from home,R

3 comments:

  1. Hi Rick,
    I sent a note to you and Joan on facebook. I was thinking maybe you were home,but you have been in rehab. I had to laugh at your story of the elder lady...so funny,and you have not lost your sense of humor. By this writing you may be home. I sure hope so.
    Wishing you a wonderful pahtee,as you put it,when you get home.
    After all you have gone through,you deserve it.
    Sending all my love to you and yours.........Wanda Berthold

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Rick! It is so good to know that you are home! I read about your adventures in rehab, and laughed.. I love you, sooo much, and have been all screwed-up, since your fast trip to NIH..Thank God that you are on the other side of that adventure... When you are up for an "in-law" visit..Please let us know..We are so anxious to see you..at HOME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ricardo, my dear, old friend, we just found your blog and had no idea that you went through a major ordeal last week. When we last spoke you were surrounded by 6 women and you were all having a grand time awaiting a catered lobster dinner. You were on an emotional high and we laughed about it. The blessing of living a good life is receiving what you have given, and I know that you are getting it all back in spades from all those whose lives you’ve touched. Paisano, you and I have close to a 60 year friendship, and it pains me that all this is happening. Rest assured that Jeanne and I are here to help in any way that we can. We’d like to see you, so let’s make it happen.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for checking in!